What is Penn GEMS?
Calling all Philadelphia area middle school girls in 6th, 7th, or 8th grade who will be 7th, 8th or 9th graders next year!
Penn GEMS: Girls in Engineering, Math and Science Camp is an opportunity for Philadelphia-area middle school girls to learn about engineering and how it is part of everyday life.
Join us for a great week of hands-on science, math, and engineering at Penn! You’ll get to participate in hands-on engineering activities such as in Bioengineering, Nanotechnology, Materials Science, Graphics and Computing.
Please note: GEMS is a day camp only. Overnight accommodations are not available.
- Discover how engineers change lives
- Make new friends and learn from Penn students
- Experience engineering through challenging, hands-on activities with your fellow campers
Details + Goals
Penn GEMS is a week-long day camp targeting middle school girls in 7th, 8th, and 9th grade that focuses on bioengineering, nanotechnology, materials science, graphics and computing. The Penn GEMS Summer Camp is dedicated to providing hands-on activities to engage middle school girls in applied science, technology and engineering. Please note: GEMS is a day camp only. Participants are expected to be picked up and dropped off from the Penn campus. Camp goals are:
- To introduce engineering to girls through nanotechnology, materials science, bioengineering, environmental engineering, chemical engineering, robotics, graphics and computing.
- To make connections with role models and mentors that will help them to visualize themselves as engineers.
- To encourage girls to continue studying math, science and computing and to think about studying engineering in college.
- Emphasis on real-world problem solving, collaboration, teamwork and building self-efficacy.